Sandeep Kumar is Assistant Professor at Central Institute of Education (CIE), Department of Education, University of Delhi, India. Sandeep's research work focuses on developing sagacity of concern regarding sociological, psychological, psychosocial, and human rights perspectives of educational and other associated issues, concerns, challenges and possibilities. He believes in humanity and equality and work towards achieving these ultimate values with criticality and optimism so as to contribute in developing an egalitarian society.
He has master's degrees in Political Science, Education and Clinical Psychology, followed by M.Phil. in Constructivist Education and doctoral degree in Human Rights Education from University of Delhi. He has worked with NCERT; NCTE; KVS; DOE; The Open University, Milton Keynes, United Kingdom; and many other organisations of repute. He has many books to his credit along with national and international projects. He has been invited as an expert at various national and international conferences and seminars. Recently, he has been a member of core committee of NCTE constituted for three-year B.Ed.-M.Ed. integrated programme. He is a person of faith, action and outcomes.
UNIT I UNDERSTANDING GENDER: INDIVIDUAL TO SOCIAL
1.Gender, Sex and Sexuality
2.Matrilineal, Matriarchal and Polyandrous Societies
3.Understanding Patriarchy and Power Relations
4.Gender as Social Institution
UNIT II GENDER: AN EQUALITY PERSPECTIVE
5.Engaging with Feminist Perspectives
6.Equality Discourse and Women
7.Prejudices, Biases and Stereotypes
8.Women's Movements and Education
UNIT III EDUCATION: POLICY TO PRACTICE
9.Policy Perspective and Women's Education
10.Educational Disparities for Women
11.School and Gender: Issues, Challenges and Possibilities
UNIT IV ESCALATING POSSIBILITIES: DEVELOPING CRITICALITY
12.Socialization and Gender Identity
14.Critical Analysis of Gender as ';Discourse'
15.Way to Move Ahead
The book is a rich source of knowledge and it:
- Explores gender beyond male and female and talk about homosexual, bisexual, eunuchs and others to provide a comprehensive perspective to gender.
- Uses innovative pedagogic styles such as stories, real-life incidences and case narratives while explaining the concepts.
- Provides adequate cognitive support in conceptualising gender.
- Provides thoughtful context to challenge the prevailed biases, discriminations and hypothesis which hinder the gender equality.
- Provides space in developing a critical perspective to generate newer dimensions for conducting required researches.
- Examines the prevailed understanding about sex, gender and sexuality.
- Elaborates upon the policies and school practices with reference to gender.
- Helps in understanding the social structure and practices of matriarchy and polyandry societies.
- Develops a critical understanding about equality perspective with regard to social and women's movement.
- Engages with the discourse of LGBT in contemporary time.
- Enables to critically revisit gender discourse with regard to one's own lived experiences.