S S Bhavikatti is Emeritus Professor, BVB College of Engineering & Technology, Hubli. He is a former Dean of NITK, Surathkal and SDM College of Engineering & Technology, harwad. For some time, he has also been Principal, RYM Engineering College, Bellary.
Prof Bhavikatti holds an ME degree in Structural Engineering from the University of Roorkee, and a PhD from IIT-Delhi. A prolific writer, he has authored many more books including 'Building Materials', 'Building Construction', 'Solid Mechanics', 'Structural Analysis-I' and 'Structural Analysis-II' (all by Vikas®).
2. Simple Stresses and Strains
3. Compound Stresses and Strains
4. Theories of Failure
5. Shear Force and Bending Moment in Statically Determinate Beams
6. Stresses in Beams
7. Deflection of Beams by Double Integration Method
8. Deflection of Determinate Beams using Moment Area and Conjugate Beam Methods
9. Deflection of Beams and Rigid Frames by Energy Methods
11. Thin and Thick Cylinders and Spheres
12. Columns and Struts
13. Introduction to Plastic Analysis
Appendix: Moment of Inertia
Important Concepts and Formulae
Problems for Exercise
• Use of SI units
• Summary of important concepts and formulae at the end of each chapter
• A large number of solved problems presented systematically
• A large number of exercise problems to test the students' ability
• Simple and clear explanation of concepts and the underlying theory in each chapter
• Generous use of diagrams (more than 550) for better understanding
1. Two new chapters are included: a) Introduction to Plastic Analysis (Chapter 13) and b)
Moment of Inertia, as Appendix.
2. Topics related to simple supported beam and overhanging beam are included in Chapter 5, Shear Force and Bending Moment in Statically Determinate Beams.
3. Topics such as Torsion of Hollow-thin-walled Shafts and Shafts Subjected to Combined Bending and Torsion are included in Chapter 10, Torsion.
4. Review Questions are added in all the chapters.